Apr 25, 2009

VOTE OR VAAT




























As a part of VOTE FOR CHANGE campaign, we got an opportunity of doing door-to-door campaigning in bandra. We had to cover entire bandstand on day 1 and 2 followed by the lanes surrounding Andrews auditorium and pali market on day 3. We were also handing out pamphlets at bandra station and were standing at traffic intersections and malls educating ppl and asking them to vote for change. Grand finale was concentrated in and around churchgate station.

It was my first time. I started out with trepidation in my heart. Stand in public in front of hundreds that would drive past and smirk and smile derisively? What if someone I know or knows my family sees me? Blah Blah......

Turns out I was dead wrong. Little did I know I was in for an evening of fun and adulation. As I was running along with shivangi and sukeerti from one building to another, from one bus stop to another, heart in a flutter, arms aching(carrying 2000 pamphlets), eyes trying to avoid the direct gaze of commuters that whizzed by in bikes, auto rickshaws and cars, I became a witness to the mood of a microcosm of India today.

People - young and old alike - whizzed by with thumbs raised and a broad smile on their faces. Some 15 odd uncles and aunties told us- “YOU ARE THE LEADERS OF TOMORROW!” It’s a nice feeling….wait it’s a super duper feeling!!!! everyone should experience it 

Most of them were shocked to see the statistics given in the pamphlet. They asked –“yeh sab sacchi mein ho raha hai kya???…tv/newspaper mein toh hum kabhi nahin dekhte.” Some even wanted to check the source of the information and refused to believe. We asked them to google. None of us got intimidated. These are facts after all!
Some had-a-care-a-damn attitude.a few just threw those pamphlets without reading them.some tore them right in front of us. we just smiled back :) I gave a firm reply to the station master who had the audacity to snatch a bunch of pamphlets from my hands and throw them in the dust bin right in front of my eyes.I told him "The next 5 years are in your hands.it was my responsibility to tell you. and now its your responsibility to take a decision" He kept staring at me with his eyes wide open. he looked like the typical "ravan" of 21st century, worse than mogambo of mr india. i hated him. after being a little disappointed, we decided to move out. the crowd was entering in from outside the station. so we planned to distribute all of them outside:)big DEAL! no worries. I gave him a big EVIL smile. I desperately wanted to stick out my tongue. lol

Then it happened - my 2 minutes of fame :)
A group of youngsters in a car actually STOPPED in the middle of the traffic junction at (youngistan - you have guts I'll say) at eros cinema, yelled out at me and took a picture of me with all the pamphlets in my hand!!! Then yelling out "We will vote. keep it up! Thumbs up", they whizzed away ! Lol
Ah - My Dear Aching Arms - This was so worth it :) :) 

Arnav and jhalak even got chocolates from an aunty at bandstand isn’t it cute????

some 10,000 pamphlets were distributed in less than 2 hours around churchgate station :)

This is such an easy and fun seva. Its so important for us to take responsibility. Many drops make a mighty ocean.

And seriously - as Mahatma Gandhi said : Be The Change You Wish To See In This World !
A lot of people asked me on my way “why r u voting?” how is it going to make a difference? I gave a number of reasons to different ppl I met on my way. Finally I m blogging down my top 10 reasons. Here it goes-

10) Cos something within me says strongly that I should.

9) our future depends on us!

8) The ability to vote in a democracy is a right. Right means power. Power implies responsibility. So its my responsibility to vote.

7) I am eager to practice what the Civics books preached back in high school. All that stuff about democracy and why voting is **essential** to its success - nay survival - needs to now be practiced.

6) I firmly believe MY Vote has the power to change India. I believe that the power of good intention combined with responsible action DOES result in manifestation.

5) I am a member of the vast educated middle classes that have given up on voting and consequently democracy and consequently this country. Such cynicism has become the bane of the democratic process in India. Now the politician does not even CARE as he/she knows that all he/she needs is about 20% of the vote which can be bought with liquor, sarees, lungis, shawls, 100 rupee notes, coercion, bikes,bogus voting, just belonging to a particular caste etc. I want this to change.

4) The Bhagavad Gita says that one must not be attached to inaction. Inaction is also action. If I don't vote thinking that nobody deserves my vote, someone else casts my vote for the wrong guy and by not acting, I have actually acted in the wrong fashion. So this time the least of the evils gets my vote.

3) Being the Change ! If I don't vote, I have no right to complain when I get a paunchy, raunchy, rude, pan chewing, insolent, selfish, creepy pseudo-secular and a disgusting politician or just a failed filmstar or his/her sister or brother as my representative for the next 5 years. Even if I vote, this individual may show up, but at least I did MY bit. VOTE YA VAAT

2) I refuse to be taken for granted. I believe in secularism provided it is defined right. Democracy has been defined as the rule of the majority combined with rights of the minority. In India it has of late become "Rule of the Minority and the Majority be damned" As a member of the majority community in this country, I believe I deserve respect and equality. Not more than anyone else in this country - but certainly NOT less.

1) Guruji says so.. 

So whether you are a member of Youngistan, Middle-Ageistan or Senioristan, vote and inspire others to do so 

All of us who got an opportunity to do this seva are really lucky. it was a kickass learning experience! a brilliant groundwork seva! it crushes your ego and opens up a new dimension within you.

Jai hind!

Jai guru dev!

37 comments:

Mamta Pandya said...

FANTASTIC.....Super Duper Great...!!!!

Deep said...

**********************************
after reading such a brilliant * article, i really feel all the * more beautiful,sense of pride *
has increased.... *
it was an awesome opportunity... *
we have to keep moving on and on * and on... *
Dear Aditi..it was altogether a * different experience 2 be wid u. * its been 4 days now...i say that * the energy level, the enthusiasm * is soo much very same, every * single day. *
i still dont believe..'WE',12-15 * volunteers) have reached to *
thousands of ppl in mere 2hrs.it * was just like a passing dream.i * never ever imagined abt it... *
great going dear...and we have a * long waye to go too.... *
ADIOS... *
************Jai GuruDev***********

Shivangi said...

Hey Aditi!!
Absolutely brilliant :)) yaar , written beautifully... hey i want to really dil se give u a feed back- Everybody n esp U n Kuldeep ve done a superb job ya. I've learnt so much from u in past few days! Keep up that undying entusiasm n confident smile always...
U ROCK !!!

Jai gurudev,
love- Shivangi

Akhil said...

so perfectly described aditi!! cant be better!!
WOW!!
i'l be waiting 2 get an sms 5yrs down d line saying "volunteers, pls meet aditi at churchgate stn 4 the Voting seva" [may be with different 'facts' printed on d pamphlets nxt time:)]

AHO NIRANJANA!! :)
JGD!

Jainil said...

well after such a speech m speechless!!!
i can actually imagine every line u'v written....
Brilliant yaar...damn witty.
agree wid akhil...ahhoo Niranjanaa!!!


by d way aditi i'll not let u vote for congress!
team pls stop her...she told me its her personal decision but against guruji will not b acceptd!

Abhinand K R said...

Spectacular seva! This blog makes me want to do such seva with all the YES+ guys here in Bangalore....

And, u got a link on Bau's blog!

Virat said...

"The country whose young men are inspired by the glory of the past, the pains of the present, and the dreams of the future always moves on the path to progress"


I cant tell you how proud I am of this team!!

This is the stuff that leaders are made of!! This is the ground work in preparation of young men who can change the destiny of a nation!!!

JAI HIND!

Random Reflections said...

Hey folks ,
Well written..but you've ripped off several pieces from my original here :

http://jeevanekkhoj.blogspot.com/2009/04/top-10-reasons-why-ill-vote.html

Please have the courtesy to give credit to the original writer when you borrow stuff !! Else its called plagiarism. !

I mean you are my fellow AOL brothers and sisters. This is not expected from you .

Now I am willing to bet you are going to moderate this post. Lets see how truthful you can be .

Jai Guru Dev,

ADITI RAWAT said...

@ random reflections

its my work. i had put it up on facebook and my personal blog.i have been writing for so many years and i know wht's "PLAGIARISM" .

peace,
jai guru dev!

Dippak Nair said...

Well, the intention was right "random".. That is Bringing about a change. !

Aditi u just rock and also kulu... ! Keep up the amazing work..

Feeling proud to be a part of the solution.... !
JAAGO...
JAI HIND
Dippak

mihir said...

[b] Amazing work ! !! feels great to c so many fella ppl who care !! :) kudos !! to all of u who worked in a way to spread the word !!
and yaa !! liked it "Vote or vaat "

m gonna use this as a tagline and hope ppl dun start callin it plagiarism

Jgd !!

aditi rawat said...

@random reflections
http://wwwtransitoryphase.blogspot.com/

that's my link-my personal blog.
and sir u must have chapped it from there ...yeah (ths my PERSONAL BLOG) or from some other blog who has in the end copy=pasted from there.

yeah ths called PLAGIARISM!

plz get a life..

JAI GURU DEV!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Brilliant work... It would feel wonderful doing it... thanx a lot for inspiring....
Jai Gurudev

Himanshu said...

Good stuff...very cool :)

Random Reflections said...

Rubbish Aditi . Entire sentences and paras have been lifted from my post on
Apr 5th and Apr 12th.


My Blog : (Apr 5th)

Then it happened - my 2 minutes of fame :)

A group of youngsters in a car actually STOPPED in the middle of the traffic junction (youngistan - you have guts I'll say) , yelled out at me and - took a picture of me with the banner. Then yelling out "We will vote", they whizzed away ! LOL !

Your Post (Apr 25th) :

Then it happened - my 2 minutes of fame :)
A group of youngsters in a car actually STOPPED in the middle of the traffic junction at (youngistan - you have guts I'll say) at eros cinema, yelled out at me and took a picture of me with all the pamphlets in my hand!!! Then yelling out "We will vote. keep it up! Thumbs up", they whizzed away ! Lol

Ah - My Dear Aching Arms - This was so worth it :)

Anyone can see you've modified my post nicely after using the first few lines.



If you want I'll give you a line by line break up of where you've copied, and where you've made modifications.

And the top 10 reasons post : My God...don't say you haven't copied it and made changes from here :

http://jeevanekkhoj.blogspot.com/2009/04/top-10-reasons-why-ill-vote.html

Please anyone can see the subtle changes you've made to my post.

You know what - Get someone (your own friends) to independently read both blogs and see the rip offs. In any case I don't care.

You can lie all you want. Guruji knows the truth and thats all I care about.

Jai Guru Dev,

Random Reflections said...

@aditi

Also you post on your blog is also cleanly copied and subtly modified.


http://wwwtransitoryphase.blogspot.com/2009/04/vote-kayko.html

Please turn on the post date which is not to be seen and you'll see that it was first plagiarized on your blog and then brought over here.


JGD

vibhu said...

good job both Aditi nd "Random Reflections".
RR feel happy that u write so amazing that people have started copy pasting ur work and are spreading Guruji's message 2 the masses.
Cheers,
PeAcE,
Jai Hind!
Jgd!

In Search Of Myself said...

Amazing!!!V honestly penned.

Check out the vids in Chennai of work in progress by Yes!+ Chennai...www.yespluschenai.blogspot.com

It's a v special feeling!

Great minds think aline 'Random'.
More youths in youngistan shud think on same lines.

P.S: I might just 'plagiarise' the post too. Feel free to blame or say 'Hey I fel the same. We do belong to you!'

janvi said...

hey aditi, no words u r brillnt... i inspird by wth ful of entusiasm........ love u yaar jgd jai hind!!!
janvi

ADITI RAWAT said...

@random reflections

firstly,i wouldn't dare to lie sir/madam.
as u said our guru knows the truth. everybody knows the truth. i did my seva and this blog was just a platform to pen down my experiences :)its not an experience which happened between the 4 walls of a room ( clicking my snap- my 2 minute fame). it happened at a traffic junction which ppl and volunteers witnessed. its really stupid and silly!

as far as getting a frnd and checking and tallying the rip offs is concerned, they all know abt my writing skills.. not to mention the never ending list of accolades and awards that i have achieved in the last 5 yrs in xaviers or even in school.i have been writing for magazines and also as a guest writer for BMM magazine as a movie critic.. i have undertaken various economic projects and presented papers at national level. and i know whts PLAGIARISM! so for god's sake ..don't explain the meaning. any fool on this planet would think atleast 100 times b4 doing such a "stupid act"

my transitoryphase blog is a PERSONAL blog. if u understand wht personal is- its like a personal diary. not subject to comments or debates. thts the only thing i regret after all this shit tht has happened. my blog is no more personal. its open to everyone.and i hate that. i write on facebook regularly too.. and tht where its open for debates,discussions or comments from any "random" person.

as far as dates and timings of blog posts are concerned...sir till yest it was "just 10 reason y a person should vote"..thts wht u were sulking abt.i went thru ur blog posts..and the other so called rip offs tht u have mentioned wasn't there.i wonder how they all suddenly appear??every body knows that the dates and timings can be modified

as i mentioned b4- its a personal diary- so no display of comments and timings.its the 7th or 8th post in my blog. i wonder how I or any1 on this planet would produce so many articles, poems in a day..if u say so.25th april,when i was slogging my ass off at bandra doing seva..and reached home post 10 pm. funny naa? an hour and so many poems? its a puzzle for me. honestly i would love to reach tht level ASAP :)

so i really don't care abt the "rip off justifications" u r trying to make.

most important..y the hell would i DARE to chap an article from a blog ( who is also APPARENTLY JAI GURUDEV!) and post it in our yes plus blog????? i would have taken tht risk (had i not been in my senses) in my personal blog. but on this group blog?? if my blog has various aol readers...this group blog would definitely have a ton more. right?? isn't it simple??


finally i really dun care...how is a piece of writing going to help me in any manner? its SEVA (which is visible to everyone around) that really matters.our team did a kickass job and thts wht really matters.

i do not wish to take this ahead anymore and prove my literary skills anywhere and to anyone. i know i am a brilliant writer and more importantly a hardworking person...who is confident tht will be an asset to yes plus in future endeavors.. period.

plz do not waste my time or ur time anymore...

He is watching us and knows who is doing seva and who is PLAGIARIZING!

PEACE

jai guru dev!

Anshika said...

Only today did this thought flash m mind : Okay, now I know what to do but dont know how..
And wooH! i got an answer here ...
Honestly, a very well-written article ! :) cheers !

shilpa said...

ekdam mast blog
keep up the good work,
it reflects good content and team work

Jai Gurudeva!
Shilpa

Abhay Karnataki said...

Excellent! you Rock guys!

shefali said...

GR8 WORK DEARR,,,hats off..!!!awesome..!!
i think i missed sumthing...!!

Ana Gupta said...

So inspiring! So awesome!
Keep up the seva!!!!

Alok said...

woww that is some real seva! interacting with ppl from every class and motivating them to vote. not to mention the heavy pamphlets tht the team was carrying. superb! keep up the good work!

ROHIT said...

wow!
superb article and even more superb seva! our team should get inspiration from this blog.

@aditi
unfortunately plagiarism cannot be detected in the blogging world. it has happened wid me personally.dates and timings can be modified by any smart ass. its sad what has happened with u.
but think of it this way- Guruji chose ur team blog to get publicity! :) and not his blog :)
tht means ur team is special. to add to it ur personal blog is also getting trps. may be u shld turn on the comments mode and make it a public blog. u will get loads of comments there too :)

you guys have done a splendid job and should be proud of urself and not worry abt minor things.
its a quote in ashthavakra gita- "YOU ARE NOT THE DOER". HE is doing everything.

keep up the splendid job!
jai guru deva!

chaitanya said...

wowww wht a team!
splendid job! keep it up!
beautiful article and pictures :)

and u got a link on bau's blog!!! i am so jealous of u:)
jai guru deva!

Arnav said...

Those three days of seva that we did,i mean i just can not express how contented and fulfilled i feel to be a part of it.As Rishi Nithyapragyaji said it Lord KRISHNA has lifted the Govardhan and we are merely doing our bit by holding small sticks,which gives me an immense amount of satisfaction to be a part of it...brilliantly written aditi:)
JAI HIND

JAI GURUDEVA....!!!

RAMYA said...

lovely work guys ...this is ramya from delhi ..really inspiring ..thanks will make something happen here as well!!!...joy guru dev ...

Anonymous said...

gr888,,,,,keep it up jgd!

sneha said...

got ur link thru bawa and dinesh's blog.
keep up the good work!
written really well and the pictures are also grt!
very inspiring.

jai hind!

nands said...

Great work, people. :)
Really inspiring.
Nice photos, says many things without any words!
And yes, a brilliant write-up.
Jai Guru Dev. :)

avinash said...

hey superb blog!
ur team has done a phenomenal job!
this is really inspiring. ur effort will definitely pay off. wait till advaniji becomes the prime- minister!
lovely team!
jai BJP!
jai hind!
jai gurudev!

kashyap singhal said...

excellent blog!
keep it up!
"VOTE FOR CHANGE"

jai guru dev!

Aditi Rawat said...

44.13% voter turnout in mumbai! Jaago re? or Lonavla/Goa BHAAGO re? i'm ashamed that i know atleast 20 of them who went to goa...
mumbai has succeeded in defying all the voting awareness campaigns and has recorded the lowest turnout in 4 general elections!! its unbelievable! honestly i thought this year our city would cross atleast 60%..
the polling booths open at 6 and 7 in the morning.. if people want to go out they had the whole day...
if the ipl matches were in india and even if the temperature was 45 or 48, people would have sweated out in the stadium... they are not even worth calling themselves mumbaikars...

its really a shame..

is there any solution???

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin